Hannah Thompson is a sexual and gender-based violence, child protection, and safeguarding professional. She has worked in the development and humanitarian sector since 2000. Eight years of this were living and working in countries affected by complex emergencies and natural disaster; as well as in fragile states across West and Central Africa and South and South East Asia. Hannah has experience at a global, national, and local level. Her experience includes:
- Providing direct case management support to survivors of safeguarding incidents;
- Researching organizational safeguarding culture;
- Researching and reporting on the causes, consequences, levels of and response to sexual exploitation and abuse by humanitarian workers in conflict-affected states;
- Reviewing and revising inter-agency referral pathways and standard operating procedures;
- Developing country-level tools for: recruitment and selection; mainstreaming safeguarding across programmes; inter-sectoral referral; report-handling; and safeguarding during distributions;
- Developing and running staff induction; in-service; and refresher training;
- Input into and reviewed global level organizational reporting guidance;
- Developed an inter-agency safeguarding report-handling toolkit, definitions, and case studies for use globally.
Hannah has developed; contributed to; and/or run research for the following relevant resources and publications:
- Thompson, H (forthcoming) ‘Sexual and Gender-based Violence Mini-guides series,’ UNHCR
- Thompson, H. (2019) ‘Safeguarding Report-handling toolkit’ BOND, Proteknôn, https://www.bond.org.uk/resources/safeguarding-toolkit
- Independent Commission on Sexual Misconduct, Accountability and Culture (2019) Committing to Change, Protecting People: Toward a more accountable Oxfam: Final Report, https://www-cdn.oxfam.org/s3fs-public/oxfam_ic_final_report-en.pdf
- Thompson, H. (2012) ‘Child Safeguarding in Cash Transfer Programming: A practical tool’ Save the Children, CaLP, CPC, and WRC, https://resourcecentre.savethechildren.net/library/child-safeguarding-cash-transfer-programming
- Csáky, Corinna (2008) No one to turn to: The under-reporting of child sexual exploitation and abuse by aid workers and peacekeepers, https://resourcecentre.savethechildren.net/node/2732/pdf/no_one_to_turn_to_1.pdf
Hannah has worked on safeguarding for INGOs, UN agencies, bilateral and multi-lateral donors as well as interganecy groups. English is Hannah’s mother tongue. She is also fluent in French.